Week 5: General Conference
This past weekend was the semi-annual general conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints of which I am a member. These two weekends a year we get to hear from our church leaders who give us guidance and hope and share the love of the Lord, Jesus Christ. These weekends are always my favorite each fall and spring. I start thinking about questions I have about life and making predictions on where temples will be announced. My friends and I create a menu of snacks and meals to keep us awake and nourished. However, at the end of the weekend, despite the spiritual high of the messages given, I often feel like blehhh. This weekend was one where I felt even more of a bleh feeling. After sitting on the couch for 10 hours watching a conference over the weekend, I just felt bad. (The candy and soda I was consuming the whole weekend might have contributed.) I received answers to prayers, guidance on my career, and hope for my future but still came away from the weekend feeling worse than I went into it. These bad feelings were mostly physical but they tended to carry over to my mood. It reminded me of the importance of getting outside and not letting media overtake our lives. In April, I will be doing the same thing (watching conference) because I love Jesus Christ and conference is one way I receive help from Him and feel His love. However, in April I am going to make some changes. Healthy snacks will be prepared beforehand so I don't turn to the Sour Patch and Coke. I also want to plan a hike, run, walk, or play sports in between sessions to get my body moving.
Let me know what you do in between conference sessions to avoid becoming an extra cushion on your couch.
I totally relate to this feeling when I watch General Conference all weekend! It's super fun to make and eat cinnamon rolls while you watch conference on the couch for hours, but it can also be tiring. My husband and I tried to take walks in between sessions to get some fresh air and get our bodies moving before we sit for another two hours!
ReplyDeleteI loved this! I feel like this is a great way to look at media. General Conference is a great and positive way to use media, but too much can be not the greatest thing sometimes. I agree that getting away from media sometimes is extremely important. For me, I make sure to go on a walk in between sessions to get moving and to think about everything I just learned. It is important to disconnect and unplug from media sometimes! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading this and it helped me realize that I am not alone in how much my physical movement effects my mood. I felt as though I did a good job at moving around and being active this past weekend even with conference. Between the first and second sessions on Saturday, I ran to the store and then did my meal prep! And then between the second and third session, I went to the gym and got a good workout in before returning to listen to the Saturday night session.
ReplyDelete