Week 8: Social Media Fast RECAP
Day One: Sunday. I did good. I was able to focus at church and wasn't on my phone. I still colored on my coloring app like I do most of the time. It helps me focus on the speakers. Rest of the day I was able to spend more time with those I love and be engaged. I got to talk to my boyfriend about some pre-engagement questions about how our life would/will be when we're married. We played some chess and got to chill. Going to bed without scrolling was different, so I played chess online for 10 minutes and then went to bed. I fell asleep much faster than usual.
Day Two: Monday. Much worse. I can't actually delete Instagram off my phone because I run an Instagram account for a club I'm in. I accidentally opened it a few times then realized I could remove it from my home screen so I do see it. (I deleted the other apps off my phone). Just scrolled a little then got off. I have a one-minute time limit set as well so I couldn't stay on that long. Also almost went on social media so many times on my computer in class. It was hard not to but I stood strong. Played Minesweeper instead. Slightly better but not great.
Day Three: Tuesday. Today was such a busy day but I still kept trying to get on social media in class. I just keep forgetting. It really shows me how much time I accidentally scroll throughout the day. Played some more minesweeper.
Day Four: Wednesday. A day of stress. My friend's cat was sick so I helped watch her for the day. It was nice and peaceful. Because of that I watched more TV than normal but avoided social media! I got to read a bunch this evening instead of scrolling while my boyfriend finished his homework. A good day.
Day Five/ Six: Thursday & Friday. Busy days. I had to go on Instagram for the club I run Instagram for. I spent a little more time than I should have but it's fine.
Day Seven/ Eight: Saturday & Sunday. Easy to stay off. I spent both of the days with those I love. Colored on my phone a bit. TV before bed is better than TikTok because I can let myself get sleepy instead of being actively engaged in scrolling. More mindless.
Day Nine: Monday. I wanna be done with this, my friends keep sending me memes and TikToks and I CAN'T WATCH THEM! But alas I will survive. The world is online so much that not being on social media I think has made me less connected with people but in reality, I have been able to connect more with those around me. However, I cannot connect with people farther away from me. That was one of the reasons that I did not include Snapchat in this fast. I only use it to talk to family and friends who live out of state. They are important to me.
Day Ten: Tuesday. I am ready to have the freedom to be online. But also I am going to choose now to download all of the apps back. I think TikTok will stay off my phone for a little bit.
Overall this experience was good. I think in the digital age we live in it is hard to stay off of social media completely. Good work!
Comments
Post a Comment